Skip to main content

Image / LAPL Central Library construction, early view from Hope Street

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
LAPL Central Library construction, early view from Hope Street
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Public Library Institutional Photo Collection
Date Created and/or Issued
1925
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.
Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136.
Photograph shows the construction of the Los Angeles Public Library, located at 630 W. Fifth Street. The "base" of the library is well under way as construction workers set hundreds of 2x4 pieces of lumber next to each other, with thin steel rods peeking up in between. A sign posted on the left, at the end of this street reads: "Weymouth Crowell Co. - General Contractors". The Wayland Apts. offering "low rates" is visible on the left corner next to Savoy Auto Park, whose rates are .25 cents all day, or $5.00 per month. The large white building with arches on the right is the Bible Institute, later to become Church of the Open Door/Biola Institute, located at 555 S. Hope Street. Several automobiles are parked all along the street. Photograph dated: February 5, 1925.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;14 x 25 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00084907
Los Angeles Public Library Institutional Collection;
LAPL_IPC_b003_f5; A-002-707 4x5
CARL0004766985
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/113039
Subject
Central Library (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Bible Institute of Los Angeles
Los Angeles Public Library
Church of the Open Door (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments
Building construction--California--Los Angeles
Construction workers--California--Los Angeles
Church buildings--California--Los Angeles
Library buildings--California--Los Angeles
Building sites--California--Los Angeles
Automobiles--California--Los Angeles
Parking lots--California--Los Angeles
Winslow, Carleton M.,1919-
Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924
Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Weymouth Crowell Co

Explore related content on Calisphere: