Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937. Meyer & Holler designed the Egyptian Theatre (6708 Hollywood Blvd.) in 1921. The first of the "fantasy" movie palaces on Hollywood Blvd., the Egyptian retains the forecourt with original Egyptian-style paintings. The marquee was altered in the 1950s. The theater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributor to the Hollywood Boulevard Commercial and Entertainment District in 1985, and in 2000 was restored and renovated by architects Hodgetts+Fung Design Associates, Inc. as home to the American Cinematheque.; Morgan, Walls & Clements designed the Pig N' Whistle (6718 Hollywood Blvd.) in 1919, and the restaurant opened in 1927 as a companion soda fountain to the Egyptian Theater. The building has been restored and retains the fanciful Churrigueresque detailing, marquee and intact ceiling. This building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributor to the Hollywood Boulevard Commercial and Entertainment District in 1985.; A. Kelley designed the Christie Hotel (6724 Hollywood Blvd.) in 1922. An eight-story Georgian Revival brick structure, the hotel is divided into three towers. Three dormers with rounded pediments project above the roofline. The theater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributor to the Hollywood Boulevard Commercial and Entertainment District in 1985. The neon lights blaze in this night shot of Hollywood Boulevard, which includes the Egyptian Theater, The Pig and Whistle Cafe, the Hotel Christie, and the Citizens Bank. The double bill on the marquee "Life Begins in College" and "Counsel for Crime" played at the Egyptian the second week of November in 1937.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm. Photographic prints