The copyright to this image has not been determined. These images are intended for personal or research use only. Please contact library staff for rights determinations and additional uses.
Figueroa home at Main Street and Figueroa. Built about 1795. Also in picture Ayers Hotel and a saloon.Detailed description of photo is found in History of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura Counties California (Illustrated, Volume 1) by C. M. Gidney, Benjamin Brooks, and Edwin M. Sheridan. Published by the Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, 1917, pp. 287-288: "...The adobe building, with the tile roof in the foreground, was the first building ever erected in the town and was occupied for many years by the Catholic priests, during the erection of the present Mission Church, and was purchased by Polecarpia Lopez, the mother of Mrs. Arellanes, in 1855, and at that time was considered the finest residence in the town.The man standing by the 'carrito' was the village butcher; the woman to the right, under the porch, is Mrs. Lopez, the mother of Mrs. Arellanes, and the one next to the right was her youngest daughter, who married Joseph Detroy, and George S. Gilbert, Senior, is the man standing at the corner of the building, who at that time had a general merchandise store on the opposite side of the street, next to and east of the Church yard.The first building to the west, was the first hotel, where was the postoffice, conducted by Isidro Obiols, who purchased the property in 1855, and at that time was known as the Mission 'Javoneria' (Jaboneria); the old discarded soap kettle being at the present time a part of the foundation of the Ayers Hotel, which property was acquired by William Ayers in 1868.The third building to the west occupies the present location of the Palace Hotel, which was acquired by Roberto Dominguez in 1855, the west line of the property being described in the deed, as--bounded on the west by the spot now enclosed, and known as the Mission Garden, or 'Huerta', and one of the conditions in the deed being that a certain room on the property occupied by Narciso, an Indian, is not conveyed, and that his peaceable possession shall be forever respected by said Roberto Domiguez."
4 x 5 cm Sepia photograph
Main Street (Ventura, Calif.) Adobe houses--California Business enterprises Hotels
California Ventura County (Calif.) Ventura (Calif.)