The road to Stough Park in the early 1950s, near the present intersection of Walnut Avenue and Lockheed View Drive. A permanent structure for the Starlight Bowl was opened in the park in 1951 and a 3-lane paved road was also built at the same time in order to provide better access to the area. According to the Burbank Parks and Recreation Department, Stough Canyon Park originated in 1916 as a gift to the city of over 128 acres to be used exclusively as public parkland from real estate developer Oliver J. Stough. Improvement of the upper portion, known as “Inspiration Point,” began in 1934 and, by 1950, included facilities for picnics and camping as well as a wading pool. Many of these facilities were removed in 1958 when the city appropriated additional surrounding land and construction of the nearby DeBell golf course commenced. Notes on back of photo: "Road to Stough Park, Late 40's early 50's."
nonprojected graphic 8 x 10 b&w print
islandora:1397 local: cco01393
Burbank (Los Angeles County, Calif.)--1950s--Electric lines--poles and towers--Mountains--Road markings--Roads--Street signs--Traffic signs and signals