Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > House, bench and trees at Pueblo La Brea

Image / House, bench and trees at Pueblo La Brea

Have a question about this item? Contact Owner

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
House, bench and trees at Pueblo La Brea
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
1937
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Title supplied by cataloger.; Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the mid-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features Fantasia and Pinocchio. His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for Fantasia, is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
Pueblo La Brea (6813 West Third Street) was a mixed-use residential and commercial Latin American village in the Fairfax district, which included La Bonita Factory, which made pottery and was owned by P. Espinosa and the Hispanic Provincial Shop, which was owned by E. Orena de Koch and Don Felipe Delgado.
A bench sits in front of a line of Eucalyptus trees in front of a small board and batten house in Pueblo La Brea. Another house can be seen on the far right and behind that the tents of the Farmers Market Fall Festival.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00097760
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-007-251 8x10
CARL0005074400
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/37115
Subject
Pueblo La Brea (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Farmers Market (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Artist colonies--California--Los Angeles
Themed environments--California--Los Angeles
Dwellings--California--Fairfax (Los Angeles)
Eucalyptus trees--California--Los Angeles
Benches--California--Los Angeles
Lost architecture--California--Fairfax (Los Angeles)
Fairfax (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs

Explore related content on Calisphere: