Skip to main content

Image / Long Beach Boulevard in Lynwood, 1925

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Long Beach Boulevard in Lynwood, 1925
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Date Created and/or Issued
1925
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Lynwood is a 4.9 square mile city, located in the southern portion of the Los Angeles Basin, in Los Angeles County. Its history dates back to 1810, when Don Antonio Lugo received a grant to a 29,514-acre tract of land, which he named Rancho San Antonio. On July 24, 1847 Don Lugo received a patent from the U.S government making him the undisputed owner of Rancho San Antonio. After Lugo's death in 1860, his five children inherited the ranch, which was equally divided between them. The families who first came to the Lynwood territory arrived in the late 1870s and early 1880s. By 1902, C.H. Sessions had acquired the title to approximately 400 acres of this land, and he established "the Lynwood Diary and Creamery", named after his wife's maiden, Miss Lynne Wood. In addition to the creamery, the Southern Pacific Railway had a siding here, called the "Lynwood siding". From 1904-1905, one of the lines of the Pacific Electric Railroad ran from Los Angeles to Santa Ana, passing directly through the middle of Lynwood. In 1913, 800 acres were opened up for 'suburban' home sites, and just 8 short years later, on July 16, 1921, voters approved incorporation of the city. The city was growing so rapidly, that by 1929, Pacific Electric had installed a P.E. Depot on the corner of Long Beach Blvd. and Fernwood Ave. The Long Beach Earthquake on March 10, 1933 caused major damage in Lynwood, with numerous buildings collapsing. Through the years, Lynwood has transformed itself from a colonial settlement, to a small farming town, to finally becoming a mostly working-class suburb in Los Angeles County, with the population growing by leaps and bounds. The statistics are as follows: 1921 (786 residents); 1930 (1,326 residents); 1940 (10,986 residents); 1960 (31,614 residents); 1988 (55,071 residents); 2000 (69,845 residents); 2007 (72,984 residents), and today, the current population stands at approximately 73,212.
View is looking nouth on Long Beach Boulevard, with the Security Trust & Savings Bank of Los Angeles, Lynwood Branch on the left. A couple of cars can be seen driving to and fro on the boulevard, and several more are parked on either side of the street.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00079179
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
Lynwood-Streets-Long Beach.; N-002-152 8x10
CARL0000080802
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112020
Subject
Security Trust & Savings Bank (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Central business districts--California--Lynwood
Commercial buildings--California--Lynwood
Bank buildings--California--Lynwood
Automobiles--California--Lynwood
Streets--California--Lynwood
Lynwood (Calif.)

Explore related content on Calisphere: