The Stephen White statue was originally outside the "Red Sandstone Courthouse," located at Spring and Temple, until the building was demolished in 1936. The statue was then placed here, at the corner of 1st and Hill, outside the courthouse. Years later in 1989, it was relocated again, this time, to the entrance to Cabrillo Beach, near the Los Angeles Harbor. Mr. White was responsible for creating the Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro instead of in the Santa Monica Bay, making the relocation of the statue to San Pedro an appropriate choice. Demolition of the L.A. County Courthouse at Broadway and Temple. City Hall, built in 1927, is behind. The Hall of Records, built in 1911, appears on the right.
White, Stephen Mallory,--1853-1901--Statues Los Angeles City Hall (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles County Courthouse (Los Angeles, Calif. : 1891-1932) Los Angeles County Hall of Records (Los Angeles, Calif. : 1911-1962) Public buildings--California--Los Angeles Courthouses--California--Los Angeles Municipal buildings--California--Los Angeles Statues--California--Los Angeles Demolition--California--Los Angeles Lost architecture--California--Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)