Title supplied by cataloger. Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, also known as the San Gabriel Mission, is a former Roman Catholic mission and current historic landmark; it was the fourth of 21 California missions to be founded. The mission was designed by Father Antonio Cruzado, and was built from 1791 to 1805 out of cut stone, brick, and mortar. Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, often referred to as the "Godmother of the Pueblo of Los Angeles", was added in 1971 as a National Historic Landmark, building #71000158. It is also a California Historical Landmark, No. 158. Two addresses are given for the mission: 428 South Mission Drive, and 537 West Mission Drive at Junipero Street. View 2: Photograph shows the old stone irrigation ditch, located on the grounds of Mission San Gabriel Arcangel, that channeled water to the flour mill. This site has since been covered by the old Mission Playhouse. Verso (partly erased) reads: "The last picture taken of the old orchard at San Gabriel Mission. Showing a line of pear trees, as well as the old irrigation ditch". In addition to the trees seen here, these gardens included native and nonnative flowers, vines, plants, and bushes.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Mission San Gabriel Arcangel (San Gabriel, Calif.) Irrigation canals and flumes--California--San Gabriel Missions, Spanish--California--San Gabriel Gardens--California--San Gabriel Cruzado, Antonio San Gabriel (Calif.)