This image is being made available for educational and research purposes only, under the Fair Use clause of the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17 section 107 U.S.C.) Further questions regarding the image or its use may be directed to the Tulare County Library, 200 W. Oak Ave., Visalia, CA 93291; Phn: 559-713-2700; Fax: 559-737-4586.
In Tulare, CA, this was the 100 block of South J (Front) Street after the great fire of August, 1886. The French Hotel, built in 1883 and later becoming the St. Maxon, was at this site. The arched building at the right was the Bacigalupi Building. Temporary quarters have been set up on the east side of the street by Schenk's Barber Shop and A. P. Hall, jeweler. The temporary wooden buildings at right foreground housed Dan Miller's Retreat, Frank Willie's Barber Shop, and a restaurant. (Photo courtesy of Ellen Gorelick, Director, Tulare Historical Museum)