Copyright status unknown Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
At the beginning of the 20th century, water-well drilling was quite a chore due to the fact that there was no sophisticated well-drilling equipment compared to today. This old pumping station and wood-constructed derrick used in Edgar Canyon to drill water was rather crude equipment, but did get the job done. Following the purchase of the Beaumont Land and Water Company by the Beaumont Irrigation District, the District began exploring for water in the Edgar Canyon area. Through the 1920’s and into the 1930’s, approximately 35 holes were drilled in the canyon area including the Warren and Fick properties. With the exploration that occurred, the District located a number of faults or groundwater barriers which caused water to pool underground upstream of the fault. Pumping equipment installed upstream of the faults allowed the District to develop small producing wells. There are currently 13 wells pumping in Edgar Canyon that have been added through the years. Pictured is one of the southern Pacific pumping plants.