Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Brighton Pavilion, also known as the Royal Pavilion, was the seaside residence of George IV (1762-1830). Henry Holland's original design (built 1785) was transformed by John Nash between 1815 and 1822 into an Eastern-influenced architectural fantasy. Cruikshank credits Alfred Crowquill (A. Crowquill Esqr Del) for the print's design. Alfred Crowquill was the pseudonym used by Alfred Henry Forrester. Dorothy George (British Museum 15156) identifies the gentleman with hand at chin on the far left as a Forrester self-portrait. Catalogue Raisonne: Reid 1342; Douglas 859; Cohn 914; British Museum 15156 Inscription: Recto, in plate below design, "A. Crowquill Esqr Del--Etched by G. Cruikshank" at l.l.; "London Pubd March 1st 1826 by S Knights Sweetings Alley Ryl X'change" at l.r.; Verso, collector's stamp in red ink [lion with MW] near center and Vogler's stamp in black ink at l.l.