unknown Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The Mt. Tamalpais and Muir Woods Railroad ran from 1896 until 1929, from downtown Mill Valley, California, to near the summit of Mt. Tamalpais, with a second line descending the west side of Mt. Tamalpais to Muir Woods beginning in 1907. The railroad was dubbed "The Crookedest Railroad in the World" for its 281 curves. At the top of Mt. Tamalpais, passengers could hike the mountain or visit the Tavern of Tamalpais, known throughout the Bay Area for its fine dining room and comfortable accommodations.