unknown Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The Fireside Hotel was built in 1916, and was first known as the Manzanita Villa, possibly because of its location near the Manzanita train stop near today's intersection of Highways 1 and 101. During the Prohibition Era, the roadhouse was a known speakeasy, raided often by local authorities. Between 1941 and 1945, new owners changed the name to The Top Rail Tavern. Then in 1946, Paul and Ora Smith bought the property and named it The Fireside Motel, promoted as a ""Class A Motel."" The hotel closed in 1997, and the property is currently being developed into affordable housing.