unknown Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The Convent, dedicated on July 21, 1889 in San Rafael, California, was originally the home for nine Dominican Sisters, four postulants and one novice. The same building soon housed a girls grade school plus three years of high school. In addition to teaching the girls, the Sisters also taught children at the nearby St. Raphael's School at Fifth and A Streets. The college was soon increased to a four-year institution and the first class of Dominican College graduated in 1922. The elementary school and the high school moved to San Domenico in San Anselmo in 1965. In 1971, the College became coed, and in April 2000 Dominican changed its name to Dominican University. The Convent pictured here burned in 1990, and the Sisters elected to replace the remains with a new, more modern building.