unknown Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
In 1870, the first road to this location was built from Sausalito, and a tent settlement sprang up amongst the willow trees at the beach. This gave the town its original name, Willow Camp. The Mill Valley and Mount. Tamalpais Scenic Railroad opened in 1896, making Willow Camp more accessible. In 1906, refugees from the San Francisco earthquake came to the area and built some of the area's first businesses. Stinson Beach became the official town name in 1916, in honor of the largest landowners, Rose and Nathan Stinson. This photograph depicts the stretch of beach at Willow Camp, Marin County, California, February 1913.
1 photographic print, b&w ; 8 x 14 cm.
csrcl_441 A. 1310.001.017 ark:/13030/kt2r29r7tq
Willow Camp Beaches
Stinson Beach (Calif.) Marin County (Calif.)
Photograph from folio , verso "Howitt Family Album", 1913-1914, Anne T. Kent California Room, Marin County Free Library (Call number A. 1310.001.017).