For information on copyrights and permissions, please contact Orange Public Library, Orange, California.
Plaza Park fountain frozen in January, Orange, California, 1913. Postcard image shows fountain overgrown with weeds and frozen water on each of the tiers, with a palm tree visible in background. The original three-tiered fountain, decorated with herons, owls and cat-tails, was installed in 1887 and later replaced in 1937 by a tile and electric fountain constructed by the Westinghouse Electric Company. In 1940 the fountain was moved to the wading pool next to the Plunge in Orange City Park (renamed Hart Park in 1964), and the birds removed. It was later placed in storage, restored in 1981 and installed in front of City Council Chambers in Orange. The Plaza Park is located at the intersection of Glassell Street and Chapman Avenue in Orange, California. [See also P005, OPL1805 & OPL1806] Postcard Color 8.5 x 13.5 cm.