unknown Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Timothy Murphy, one of Marin County's original land grantees, left a portion of his land to Archbishop Alemany to be used as a school. The property was developed into St. Vincent's School. The school, originally operated by the Sisters of Charity as a girl's seminary, did not flourish because of its isolated location and lack of pupils. Late in 1855, Father Maurice and fourteen boys from the Market Street Orphanage in San Francisco took up residence at St. Vincent's. By the end of that year, there were 28 orphans and a free school for 40 pupils at St. Vincent's, seen here in 1905. The school, church and surrounding buildings were rebuilt in 1924 and are still in operation today in San Rafael, California.
Private schools--California--Marin County Orphans Orphanages St. Vincent's Home for Boys (San Rafael, Calif.) St. Vincent's School for Boys (San Rafael, Calif.) Silveira Ranch (San Rafael, Calif.) Murphy, Timothy Alemany, Joseph Sadoc, 1814-1888 Sisters of Charity (New York, N.Y.) Maurice, Reverand Robert A. R