unknown Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The Mt. Tamalpais and Muir Woods Railroad ran from 1896 until 1929, from downtown Mill Valley, California to almost the summit of Mt. Tamalpais, with a second line descending the west side of Mt. Tamalpais to Muir Woods beginning in 1907. Gravity cars, which held over 20 passengers, had no engines and were pushed up the mountain by a locomotive, then coasted down the eight-mile track to Mill Valley. A "gravity-man" was employed to apply the breaks as needed. There were never any gravity car accidents during the railroad's 33 years of operation.