Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Mining camp with several tents and two wooden houses surrounded by high mountains in distance. This site was apparently located half mile above Coloma (where Sutter's Mill was located) in northwest canyon of American Fork of Sacramento River. Supplied title. Signature (LR): Taber. Handwritten on mount (modern) (LL): The discovery of gold mining camp; (LR): N[orth] W[est] Canyon, American fork of Sacramento River/1/2 mile above Coloma, May 4. 1850/ from a drawing by [M.R.?] Audobon (James Woodhouse?). Note from Inventory Sheets: Art Department/The Century Co., Older coded catalogue or price numbers on mat and on both sides of drawing's mount; various historical notes (the above apparently transcribed from previous mount). Possibly used for illustration or reproduction.
Painting on tinted paper: ink, wash, and gouache 16.8 x 30.6 cm.