Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Scene of La Perouse and his party being received at Mission Carmel in 1786 by mission fathers; Indians lined up left of center; chapel and other buildings in background; three bells and cross in front of chapel. The present day church in Carmel (Mission San Carlos Borromeo, Carmel, Calif.) was subsequently built on this site. Handwritten title (LC, insert from original mount): Copia de un dibujo que deja el Pintor del Conde dela Perouse a los Padres de la Mision del Carmelo en Monterey. Signature (according to Inventory Sheets): [Cardero, Jose] (not confirmed during 1/98 survey). Printed (UR): 26. Lines and perspective grid visible. Inscriptions in Spanish.
Drawing on paper: ink, wash, and pencil 21.5 x 25.8 cm., visible image