Please contact the contributing institution for more information regarding the copyright status of this object.
Mission buildings, including church (bells in front) surrounding courtyard with tall cross in center, simple huts in background; most buildings covered with thatch roofs. Purportedly the second view known to have been made of Mission Carmel. The large cross, bell tower, chapel and other buildings built by Father Serra are the same as those seen in the 1786 view by de Vancy. The present day church in Carmel (Mission San Carlos Borromeo, Carmel, Calif.) was subsequently built on site directly behind the large cross seen at the center of this image. Handwritten title (LC): Mision del Carmelo de Monterey. Signature (according to Inventory Sheets): [Cardero, Jose] (not confirmed during survey). Printed (UR): 23. Handwritten (UL): no 23. Descriptive content from label on verso. Inscriptions in Spanish.
Drawing on paper: pen, wash, and pencil 11.7 x 45.7 cm., visible image