copyrighted The copyright holder of these items has granted the UC Regents permission to make them publicly available on the web.
Rancho Topanga Malibu Sequit was a 13,316-acre Spanish land grant given by Spanish Governor José Joaquín de Arrillaga in 1804 to José Bartolomé Tapia.
In 1892 Frederick Hastings Rindge and May Knight Rindge, purchased the rancho. In 1926, the Marblehead Land Company, formed by May Knight Rindge, made a $6 million deal with Harold G. Ferguson to develop the La Costa area (between Las Flores Canyon and Carbon Canyon), but that deal fell apart when Ferguson was sentenced to jail for securities fraud in 1931. Ferguson laid out the development with street names as they remain today: Rambla Vista, Paseo Serra, etc. It took until the mid 1930's for development of the area to begin in earnest. View towards road construction on slope in the Rancho Malibu la Costa development, with the beach and four beach houses visible along the Pacific Coast Highway beyond. The camera shadow is visible in the lower left corner of the image. 34.039617 -118.644511 Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.