Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. View 70: The Los Angeles Public Library is shown during the construction phase in December 1925. This photo was taken from across 5th street and shows the north side of the building, which is partially covered with scaffolding. A sign above the entrance reads: "Cut stone in this building is Indiana Limestone supplied by [illegible] Hugh Cairns [illegible]." The structure is almost complete, with the tower beginning to take shape at the top. Two cars are parked along 5th Street, and two men stand next to the entrance beyond. Photograph dated: December 1, 1925.
1 photographic print :b&w ;24 x 19 cm. on sheet 26 x 21 cm. Photographic prints
Central Library (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Public Library Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Building construction--California--Los Angeles Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Building sites--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Scaffolding Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924 Winslow, Carleton M.,1919- Downtown Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.)