Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Title supplied by cataloger. The Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1888, and is Southern California's largest not-for-profit business federation, representing over 1,600 businesses. The Chamber's early focus promoted the region's abundance of opportunities in agriculture and international trade. After World War II, the organization converted from a country-sponsored to a private business organization funded solely by its members. Its advocacy efforts started to include issues that also affected the four other surrounding counties. In 1967, the Chamber changed its name to the Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce. The Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce takes up key issues that affect the business community in Los Angeles. These issues include Affordable Health Care, Affordable Housing, Disaster Preparedness, Economic Development, Education & Workforce Development, Homeland Security, Improving L.A.'s Business Climate, Industrial Land Use, LAX Modernization, and Reducing Traffic Congestion. 1926 dedication of the new Chamber of Commerce building, located at 1151 S. Broadway. Pictured are: (left to right) James Woods, C. J. Kuback, J. A. H. Kerr, Edward A. Dickson, George Snyder, Ben Meyer, George Feagans, George L. Eastman, A. Carmen Smith, A. J. Hill, John C. Austin, Irving Hellman, [plaque], John P. Burke, Francis McGarry, R. W. Pridham, Arthur S. Bent, Sylvester L. Weaver, D. W. Murphy, John Parkinson, William T. Bishop, P. H. O'Neill. A portion of the plaque reads: "Erected A.D. 1924 - Opened March A.D. 1925. This building was conceived, planned and erected through the energy of the following men, officers and directors of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce and its building committee - Presidents - 1921 Sylvester L. Weaver; 1922 John D. Fredericks; 1923 W. T. Bishop; 1924 William Lacy; 1925 R. W. Pridham" - listing 32 directors' names and 20 building committee members (too many to list here). Architects are listed as: John C. Austin, Frederic M. Ashley, John Parkinson, and Donald B. Parkinson. As well as Frank Wiggins, Secretary, 1897 to 1924. Photograph dated: February 4, 1926.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 16 cm. Photographic prints
00078724 Security Pacific National Bank Collection L.A.-Organizations-Chamber of Commerce.; N-002-300 5x7 CARL0000080886 http://220.127.116.11/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/112132
Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Plaques, plaquettes--California--Los Angeles Dedication services--California--Los Angeles Boards of trade--California--Los Angeles Building construction--California--Los Angeles Men--California--Los Angeles