Skip to main content

Image / Businesses on Wilshire Boulevard

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Businesses on Wilshire Boulevard
Alternative Title
Los Angeles Photographers Photo Collection;
Creator
Schultheis, Herman
Contributor
Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation
Date Created and/or Issued
Circa 1937
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
Herman J. Schultheis was born in Aachen, Germany in 1900, and immigrated to the United States in the min-1920s after obtaining a Ph.D. in mechanical and electrical engineering. He married Ethel Wisloh in 1936, and the pair moved to Los Angeles the following year. He worked in the film industry from the late 1930s to the mid-1940s, most notably on the animated features "Fantasia" and "Pinocchio." His detailed notebook, documenting the special effects for "Fantasia," is the subject of a 14-minute short-subject included on the film's DVD. In 1949, he started employment with Librascope as a patent engineer. Schultheis was an avid amateur photographer who traveled the world with his cameras. It was on one of these photographic exhibitions in 1955 that he disappeared in the jungles of Guatemala. His remains were discovered 18 months later. The digitized portion of this collection represents the images Schultheis took of Los Angeles and its surrounding communities after he relocated to the area in 1937.
The Colonial Revival/Art Deco commercial building was designed by J. R. Davidson (storefronts and store interiors) and Morgan, Walls, & Clements and built in 1929. The structure was later demolished and replaced with a multi-story office building.; The church was designed by Benjamin C. McGougall in 1926.
Looking northeast across Wilshire Boulevard at S. Gramercy Place towards a commercial building which contains the original Perino's Restaurant (3927 Wilshire Boulevard) and other businesses. St. James Episcopal Church is present on the right.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 15 cm.
Photographic prints
Identifier
00009317
Herman J Schultheis Collection; Los Angeles Photographers Collection;
N-004-950 8x10
CARL0005242661
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/35511
Subject
Perino's Restaurant (Los Angeles, Calif.)
St. James Episcopal Church (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Restaurants--California--Los Angeles
Commercial buildings--California--Los Angeles
Streets--California--Los Angeles
Sidewalks--California--Los Angeles
Automobiles--California--Los Angeles
Anglican church buildings--California--Los Angeles
Church buildings--California--Los Angeles
Storefronts--California--Los Angeles
Wilshire Lanterns
Colonial revival (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles
Art deco (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles
Gothic revival (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles
Lost architecture--California--Los Angeles
Gramercy Place (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Wilshire Boulevard (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Schultheis Collection photographs
Davidson, J.R
McGougall, Benjamin C
Morgan, Walls & Clements

Explore related content on Calisphere: