Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
View of the Angel's Flight railway and surrounding buildings. The cars are painted white, and at the base of the track is a simple cast iron arch. A horse-drawn carriage is driving down 3rd street toward a tunnel. There are residential buildings to the left of Hill Street, but to the right is a commercial building. The Angels Flight Railway began operating in 1901. Located at 3rd and Hill Streets in downtown Los Angeles, it used a funicular system of two counterbalanced cars moving up and down parallel tracks. The cars were originally painted white, but were repainted to black and orange in 1930. In 1959, Angels Flight was slated for demolition as part of the Bunker Hill Urban Renewal Project, but community support succeeded in delaying the dismantling until 1969. Restoration and reconstruction efforts began in 1995. Publisher's serial number: No. 5302; No. 70532 Made in Germany.