Use of digital images found on this website is permitted for private or personal use only. This material may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code). To request permission for reuse of this image select this link to our web request form: https://library.csuchico.edu/special-collections/license
View of railroad cars filled with rocks that had been blasted. Donor/Source: Rob Hanford (owned by Glenn Way) 0640231. Audio tape 11A-409. GMW was on this site sometime during december 1926 to install the 2300v powerline between the rock quarry and camp 2. GMW had three "young fellas" as helpers. At this time there was only one quarry; in 1927 a second was opened "up further" (near Thompson Lake). When they arrived at the dam site the switchman would "trip" the cars and dump the rock out of them. They were then picked up with the stiff-legged derricks (see GMW-147 and GMW-149) and placed as riff-raff. The rocks were blasted, then loaded into the railroad cars with a shovel, one at each quarry. Quarry #2 had a Buceris-Erie shovel (named for its two manufactures). It was powered by a gasoline engine. The engine at quarry #1 was powered by steam. The building (14) was storage shed that had been used in the early phase of construction when the roads and railroad were being constructed.