Davis, Francis Pierpont (architect) Davis, Walter Swindell, 1887- (architect) Olmsted Associates (architect) Shattuch Construction Co. (builder) Lawyer, Jay (builder) Lewis, Edward Gardner (builder) Chaney, Charles H. (builder) Lawyer, Donald K. (builder)
Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District, from the Palos Verdes Homes Association Photograph Collection held in the Local History Room. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Image shows view of the north terrace of La Venta Inn, located at 796 Via del Monte on lots 4, 5, and 6, block 1536. Visible is a young man at far left, standing near trees and landscaping along stonework wall. The "La Venta Notes" article that accompanies this photograph in the Palos Verdes Bulletin (November 1927) relates, "The warmer weather of the latter part of October has brought to La Venta a great many guests who have made the most of its "outdoor rooms" -- the patio, and the terrace overlooking the wide sweep of populous country to the north. To sit on the stone-flagged terrace in the gathering subtropic dusk while the cities' lights come winking on -- to sit there in contentment, hour after hour, through the warm evening, fanned by zephyrs wafted up from the dim ocean far below, is an experience not to be had in many places in Souther California, and one not soon forgotten." The Inn, originally built as a club house (named "Clubhouse 764") to entertain realtors and prospective land owners, opened in the summer of 1923 and was the first permanent building constructed by the Palos Verdes Project. The name was soon changed to La Venta (meaning "The Sale" in Spanish) and the inn served as a sales office and architectural prototype for the peninsula. During the 1930s it became a weekend retreat for notable celebrities such as Charles Lindbergh, Erroll Flynn, Betty Grable, Bob Hope, Tyrone Power, Cary Grant, and Gloria Swanson. Briefly in 1942 the Inn became the central observation post of the coastal artillery. From 1944 to 1954 the property was the residence of Commander and Mrs. Stanley Schnetzler, and was re-established as an inn in 1955. On November 11, 1978, La Venta Inn became the first structure designated as an historical landmark by the Rancho de los Palos Verdes Historical Society. In 1992 the New York Food Company took over management of the property. Date Built: 1923 Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, November 1927, p. 7. PVH building permit #4.
1 photographic print (b/w); 7.5 x 9.25 in.
pvld:2166 000025809 900
La Venta Inn (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) Historic buildings--California--Palos Verdes Estates Hotels--California, Southern