Title supplied by cataloger. Central Library, located at 630 W. 5th Street in downtown Los Angeles, was designed by architects Bertram G. Goodhue and Carlton M. Winslow. Constructed between 1922-1926, it was designed to mimic the architecture of ancient Egypt, complete with a tiled mosaic pyramid tower and many beautiful murals throughout. Tragic fires in 1986 destroyed part of the building along with 20 percent of the library's collection, prompting a closure for 6 years while restoration took place. The renovation was completed in 1993, and the library reopened on October 3, 1993. The Los Angeles Public Library is the third largest public library in the United States in terms of books and periodical holdings, boasting over 6 million volumes. It was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1970 - Building #70000136. Photograph shows a section of the General Literature Department at Los Angeles Central Library. Also visible are a Library Bureau bulletin board, a double-faced book display rack, card catalog cabinets, tables, chairs, information desk and charging desk. Today, the Literature and Fiction Department collects English-language adult and young adult books and periodicals in several areas. It also collects audiocassettes and compact discs of literature and fiction, and videocassettes and DVDs of classic plays, documentaries concerning literature, and television programs. The Central Library's entire collection of large type books for the visual impaired, in all subjects, is also located in the Literature and Fiction Department.
1 photographic print :b&w ;11 x 14 cm. on sheet 21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Los Angeles Public Library.--Literature Dept Los Angeles Public Library Library buildings--California--Los Angeles Library shelving--California--Los Angeles Libraries--California--Los Angeles Books--California--Los Angeles Literature Winslow, Carleton M.,1919- Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor,1869-1924