Title supplied by cataloger. The Arroyo Seco Parkway, also known as the Pasadena Freeway, is the first freeway in the United States. It connects Los Angeles with Pasadena alongside the Arroyo Seco. Before the Parkway was built, cottonwoods filled the Arroyo Seco at Avenue 26. Originally, Indians used the Arroyo as a route to the sea. In 1895, T.D. Allen of Pasadena made the first survey for a highway through the Arroyo; design work began in 1937. The freeway opened in 1940, was renamed in 1954, and the name was reverted in 2010. The length of it spans 8.162 miles. The state legislature designated the original section, north of the Figueroa Street Viaduct as a "California Historic Parkway" in 1993; the American Society of Civil Engineers named it a National Civic Engineering Landmark in 1999; and it became a National Scenic Byway in 2002. Finally, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2011. View is of the Arroyo Seco Parkway, looking north from Bishops Road Bridge. The freeway is divided in the center by a small parkway. Each side has four wide lanes for traffic - though the southbound portion is not visible due to the parkway.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints