This collection is comprised of approximately 1,000 slides capturing buildings along Wilshire Boulevard. The slides were taken during Tuesday afternoon walks in 1978-1979 by Marlene Laskey and her 15-year-old daughter, Annie, who was the primary photographer. Marlene (1933-1989) was a Michigan native who moved to Los Angeles in the 1950s and became a Los Angeles historian and architecture enthusiast. At the time of her death from cancer, Marlene was working on a Master of Urban Planning degree at UCLA, and was an interviewer for UCLA's Oral History program.; Title supplied by cataloger; The highest resolution available for this image is 300 dpi. Looking northeast across Wilshire Boulevard showing the Wilshire Christian Church, located at 634 S. Normandie Avenue. The church, a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument, has a long history: After land was donated by Charles Chapman in 1911, a small bungalow style church was built at this corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Normandie Avenue. In 1927 the original church was replaced with this Northern Italian Romanesque style structure with a 200-foot tower, designed by Robert H. Orr. On May 19, 1940, First Christian Church of Los Angeles merged with Wilshire Boulevard Christian Church to become Wilshire Christian Church, which is of the Disciples of Christ denomination.
1 slide :color ;5 x 5 cm. Photographic color slides
Wilshire Christian Church (Los Angeles, Calif.) Church buildings--California--Los Angeles Romanesque revival (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles Streets--California--Los Angeles Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments Koreatown (Los Angeles, Calif.) Wilshire Boulevard (Los Angeles, Calif.) Los Angeles Photographers Collection photographs Marlene Laskey/Wilshire Boulevard Collection photographs Slides Orr, Robert H