This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
PhotographÂ was edited for publication purposes Authorized by War Department General Order 48 on August 24 1943, Van Nuys General Hospital opened in early 1944 to serve as both a general and debarkation hospital. It was soon renamed in honor of Brigadier General Henry Patrick Birmingham (1854-1932), Medical Corps, U.S. Army. Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital operated until 1950 and was acquired by Los Angeles City Schools a year or two later for the token price of $1.00. In 1953, Birmingham High School opened as a 7-12 grade school. Part of the high school campus was used as an air defense missile battalion headquarters from April 1956 to November 1968. Two men identified as brothers, can be seen hugging each other and chatting. They are at the Birmingham Veterans Administration hospital in Van Nuys. Photograph dated September 26, 1947.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
00111180 ValleyÂ Times Collection HCNVT_d010_f34_i21 CARL0005253296 http://126.96.36.199/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/45644
Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital (Los Angeles, Calif.) Veterans' hospitals--California--Van Nuys (Los Angeles) Hospitals--California--Van Nuys (Los Angeles) Veterans--United States Brothers--California--Los Angeles Men--California--Los Angeles Van Nuys (Los Angeles, Calif.) Group portraits Portrait photographs Valley Times Collection photographs