Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District from the Palos Verdes Library Local History Room Photo Collection. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Hand-colored postcard image shows view of the Cliff House hotel, built in 1909 (after the previous Cliff Houses burned in 1894 and then again in 1907) perched on the cliffs at far right overlooking Seal Rocks, with bathers visible in the foreground along the shore. The third Cliff House, located on the site of the earlier buildings on Point Lobos, was built by Emma Sutro, daughter of Adolph Sutro, who purchased the original Cliff House in 1881, and was acquired by the National Park Service in 1977 and now operates as a restaurant and tourist site. Split-back printed with "PANAMA-PACIFIC / INTERNATIONAL EXPOSITION / CARDINELL-VINCENT CO. / SAN FRANCISCO, CAL, PUBLISHERS" and "C.T. ARTCHROM" for the Curt Teich Company, numbered "RA-54831." Numbered in white border on the front with "1568." Date Built: 1909
1 postcard; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
pvld:1190 bar code: 000013896
Cliff House (San Francisco, Calif.) Point Lobos (San Francisco, Calif.)