Porter Strip, Valley Citrus landmark, to be subdivided
Valley Times Photo Collection
This project was supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian Made accessible through a grant from the John Randolph Haynes and Dora Haynes Foundation and Photo Friends
Photograph article dated January 7, 1950 partially reads, "Marking the passing of an era is the subdivision of the last 200 acres of the 'Porter Strip' in San Fernando. The 60,000 acre estate was established by George K. Porter and his cousin, Benjamin Porter, pioneer ranchers. It still remains as a historical landmark in the development of the Valley. The 'strip' is famous because it was here George K. Porter planted the first commercial citrus to be grown in the Valley. The year was 1887 - 13 years after the estate was founded. The land is owned by Mrs. Charles Christin, daughter of George K. Porter, and is now known as the Christin Ranch. In records it is listed as the La Cienega Ranching Co."; See images #00134246 through #00134249 for all photos in this series.
1 photographic print :b&w ;21 x 26 cm. Photographic prints
Distribution of decedents' estates--California--San Fernando Decedents' estates--California--San Fernando Boundaries (Estates)--California--San Fernando Housing development--California--San Fernando Dwellings--California--San Fernando Mansions--California--San Fernando Ranchers--California--San Fernando Interiors--California--San Fernando Antiques--California--San Fernando California Historical Landmarks San Fernando (Calif.) Valley Times Collection photographs