This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
This circa 1930 photograph shows four women riding along a bridle trail near William Land Park. The trails were constructed with a late 1920s surge in the popularity of horseback riding in the area. In response, circuits were built by the city both at Del Paso Park along Arcade Creek and at Land Park. Built in 1928, the Land Park trail was three-and-a-half miles in length with a width of 12 feet, so as to allowing sufficient room for two horses to walk abreast. It was designed to make a full cycle around the park, aligning itself with Freeport Boulevard, Sutterville Road and Riverside Boulevard. Sacramento denizens could rent horses at park stables which were located at the corner of Freeport Boulevard and Sutterville Road.