Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District from the Palos Verdes Library Local History Room Photo Collection. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
Hand-colored postcard image shows crowd of bathers in the surf on the north side of the Pine Avenue Pier, Long Beach. The Pine Avenue Pier opened May 27, 1893 and was the first municipal pier built in California. In 1904 the wooden pier structure was replaced with a 40-foot wide, 1,000 foot-long cement and steel double deck, designed by H.C. Holmes. The Sun Parlor building was opened at the end of the pier on April 6, 1905. In 1934, the Pine Avenue Pier was destroyed by storm waves. Reverse of split-back postcard printed with "Pub. by Souvenir Publishign Co., Los Angeles & S.F." and "D68." Date Built: 1893 Pier history information from "History of Long Beach" by Walter H. Case (1935); [PVLD, Ref. 979.493 Cas], pp. 50-51, 120.