Title supplied by cataloger. The Virginia Hotel, on the south side of Ocean Avenue at Magnolia, opened on April 1, 1908, and was originally named the Bixby Hotel. It was renamed the Virginia Hotel after a construction accident in 1906 resulted in fatalities. The hotel did not survive the stock market crash of 1929 and closed on October 10, 1932. The building was demolished after the March 10, 1933 earthquake. Started in 1902, The Pike amusement park ran until 1979. An aerial view of Long Beach overlooking The Pike, left, to the Virginia Hotel, right. Various amusement rides, including a roller coaster and skating rink, are on the Silver Spray Pleasure Pier. The Bernice, offering rooms and apartments, is directly across from the peace monument in the distant center. Next to The Bernice is a cafe. On the opposite side of the peace monument are the tennis courts of the Virginia Hotel. The bluff above the hotel is landscape with palm trees, yucca plants, and grass.
1 photographic print :b&w ;25 x 21 cm. Photographic prints