This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
Text: This stūpa is located about 400 yards north of the Ruwanvelisēya and close to the Basawakkulama tank. [According to the] details given in the chronicle the Mahāvamsa reveal that the stūpa was constructed by King Pandukhabaya replacing a [?] dedicated to the “Yakkha” Mahaja. King Devānam Piya Tissa has built this as the first Buddhist shrine in Sri Lanka by enshrining the collar[bone] of Lord Buddha and the stūpa has been constructed in accordance with the shape of a corn[?]. Subsequently King Vasabha (67-116 [AC]?) has covered the chamber of the stūpa with a stone wall. King Gotābhaya (249-263 AC) has built a relic chamber and various other kings have renovated the stūpa. Thupārama was destroyed during the Chola invasions in the 10th century. Subsequently King Parākramabāhu the Great (1156-1186 AD) has renovated it. As a result of the renovation works carried out in 1862 the stūpa has taken the shape of a bell. This is a protected archaeological heritage site.