Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. Please refer to: http://library.lmu.edu/generalinformation/departments/digitallibraryprogram/copyrightandreproductionpolicy/
Inscription by J. D. Black on the back of photograph: "5/4/55 water at Weir exits from Eaton Headgate." To meet the need for water of its growing population, the City of Los Angeles began acquiring water rights in the Owens Valley in 1905. The Los Angeles Aqueduct was completed in 1913 to bring Owens Valley water to the city. During the 1920s, the City of Los Angeles began additional large-scale purchases of land in the Owens Valley to increase its supply of water from the valley, resulting in the city's almost complete control of the valley's agricultural land. This led to a decline in the valley's agricultural infrastructure and economy. A resident of Big Pine and leader of resistance against Los Angeles, J. D. Black (1893-1960) used such photographs as these to document the changes in the Owens Valley.