unknown Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Inaugurated in 1913, the Manor Hill Incline Railroad ran until 1929. It was built to promote the sale of lots of the new subdivision on the hill: "Fairfax Manor." It ran from Sequoia Road in the foreground up to upper Scenic Road, a distance of 1500 feet with a rise of 500 feet in elevation. The fare was 5 cents per trip and took 3 to 5 minutes. There were possible stops along the way. The Fairfax Realty Company office is the building on the right.