Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Volunteer labor building the 1st Presbyterian Church in Eagle Rock. Three men can be seen atop the roof of the incomplete bungalow church. The 1st Presbyterian Church was established on March 5, 1914 and was first occupied on Easter Sunday, April 4, 1915. It later became the Creswell Hall and eventually succumbed to demolition in 1962 or 1963. Eagle Rock is a neighborhood in northeastern Los Angeles that derives its name from a massive boulder at the district's northern edge, which contains an indentation that casts a vaguely bird-shaped shadow on the rock at certain times of day. In 1906 Eagle Rock became an independent city and was incorporated in 1911 with a population of approximately 600; in 1920, population had grown to 2,250. Just one year later, in 1921, this figure had leaped to 3,800, and by 2005, the U.S. census estimated the population at approximately 27,875.
1 photograph :b&w Photographic prints
00073598 SecurityÂ Pacific National Bank Collection Eagle Rock-Churches-1st Presbyterian Church. CARL0000076195 http://188.8.131.52/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/114528
First Presbyterian Church of Eagle Rock (Los Angeles, Calif.) Presbyterian church buildings--California--Eagle Rock (Los Angeles) Church buildings--California--Eagle Rock (Los Angeles) Wooden churches--California--Los Angeles Building sites--California--Los Angeles Volunteers Eagle Rock (Los Angeles, Calif.)