This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
Pictured is a July 17, 1932, public gathering at the picnic grounds of East Sacramento's Helvetia Park. Prior to the Park's existence - 1920 to 1953 - it served as the burial ground for Sutter's Fort in the 1840s and 50s. The first person interred at the cemetery was Major Cloud, a paymaster of the United States Army who was fatally injured in 1847 in a fall from his horse. Most of the ground's bodies were disinterred and buried elsewhere prior to conversion into a park. In the mid-1950s, the area became Sutter Middle School.