Los Angeles Public Library > Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection > Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Los Angeles Temple

Image / Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Los Angeles Temple

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Los Angeles Temple
Alternative Title
Security Pacific National Bank Photo Collection
Contributing Institution
Los Angeles Public Library
Collection
Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection
Rights Information
Images available for reproduction and use. Please see the Ordering & Use page at http://tessa.lapl.org/OrderingUse.html for additional information.
Description
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, founded by Joseph Smith, Jr. on April 6, 1830 is widely known as the LDS Church, or more commonly, the Mormon Church. The church is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah and has established 27,475 congregations world wide, reporting approximately 13 million members, with 6.7 million of those members residing outside of the United States. According to these statistics, it is the fourth largest religious body in the U.S. This particular church, the Los Angeles California Temple, was announced on March 6, 1937, with groundbreaking and site dedication by David O. McKay on September 22, 1951; the architect was Edward O. Anderson. The public open house was held from December 19, 1955 to February 18, 1956, and the actual dedication was March 11-14, 1956. The 257-foot high Los Angeles California Temple, which sits on 13 acres with a total floor area of 190,614 square feet, was the first temple built in California and at the time of its construction, it was the larges temple of the Church, though the Salt Lake Temple later reclaimed the title with its additions and annexations. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Los Angeles California Temple celebrated the 50th anniversary of its dedication on July 11, 2006.
Exterior view of the temple of the Church of Latter-day Saints, located at 10777 Santa Monica Boulevard in Westwood. The golden statue of the angel Moroni on top is fifteen feet high, and the entire tower 257-1/2 feet. The exterior of the building is covered with 146,000 square feet of Mo-Sai stone. The church was opened on September 22, 1951 by David O. McKay.
Type
Image
Format
1 photographic print :b&w
Photographic prints
Identifier
00011874
Security Pacific National Bank Collection
Westwood Village-Churches.
CARL0000013407
http://173.196.26.125/cdm/ref/collection/photos/id/85196
Subject
Los Angeles Temple (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Mormon church buildings--California--Westwood (Los Angeles)
Church buildings--California--Westwood (Los Angeles)
Anderson, Edward O
Westwood (Los Angeles, Calif.)

Explore related content on Calisphere: