For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
“Outside a village, Sialkot District, Panjab, India”. Exterior view looking over a river at the fortified walls of a village whilst cattle graze along the bank. Some children sit on the wall. Sialkot is situated at the base of the Himalayan Range and extends for 1958 Square miles and is the most populous of the Punjab districts. When the Church of Scotland chose it as the base for their missionary work in the Punjab, in 1857, they sent Thomas Hunter (1827-1857) who was murdered with his family during the Indian Mutiny that same year. His successors, John Taylor (1837-1868) and Robert Paterson, would not arrive in Sialkot until 1860 and rapidly expand the field. The mission would open orphanages, girl’s schools, women’s hospitals and do zenana work in Sialkot and throughout the Punjab.