Title supplied by cataloger. The Central Manufacturing District is an industrial tract of approximately 2800 acres, partly located within the cities of Commerce, Bell, and Vernon. In 1923, the tract comprised 300 acres of the old Rancho San Antonio, one of the original Spanish land grants. Railroad lines and utilities were laid and the Terminal Building became the first structure erected at 4814 Loma Vista Avenue, and serves as its landmark. In 1928 the assets were purchased by the Santa Fe for further development. The district added new areas in 1930, 1932, 1947 and 1948 - to provide for new and expanding industries and services. Thus it has grown from its original 300 acres to more than 2800 acres. More than 60 food companies are located in the CDM, which also houses automobiles, furniture, household items, machinery, paints, paper, plastics, steel, trucks, wood, cosmetics and also the benefits provided by service and processing companies of all types. CMD, which has been called the largest development of its kind in the world, is located eastward from Soto Street to Garfield Avenue; the southern edge is bordered partly by Fruitland Avenue and Randolph Street; on the northern edge are Washington Boulevard and the Santa Ana Freeway route, partially extending north beyond the freeway line. Aerial view of the Central Manufacturing District La Mirada area, located within the cities of Commerce, Bell, and Vernon; view looking north. Photograph was taken for CMD Magazine. This area was not yet a part of the City of La Mirada when the picture was taken. Photograph dated November 5, 1957.
1 negative :safety ;12 x 14 cm. Photographic safety negatives
Central Manufacturing District (Los Angeles County, Calif.) Industrial facilities--California--La Mirada Warehouses--California--La Mirada Industries--California--La Mirada Streets--California--La Mirada La Mirada (Calif.)--Aerial views La Mirada (Calif.) Aerial photographs