University of Southern California Digital Library > Los Angeles Examiner Collection, 1920-1961 > Bell Tower of a soon-to-be renovated Los Angeles Orphanage

Image / Bell Tower of a soon-to-be renovated Los Angeles Orphanage

Have a question about this item?

Item Information. View source record on contributor's website.

Title
Bell Tower of a soon-to-be renovated Los Angeles Orphanage
Date Created and/or Issued
circa 1956-11-12
Publication Information
University of Southern California. Libraries
Contributing Institution
University of Southern California Digital Library
Collection
Los Angeles Examiner Collection, 1920-1961
Rights Information
Contact: Special Collections, Doheny Memorial Library, Libraries, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089-0189; specol@usc.edu
Doheny Memorial Library, Los Angeles, CA 90089-0189
USC Libraries Special Collections
University of Southern California
specol@usc.edu
Description
Photograph. "Bell tower stands, but it too will soon be razed. Eventually, Golden State Freeway will pass where building is now located. On a hilltop in Boyle Heights, a huge red brick building which for more than half a century echoed children's laughters today listens only to the wrecker's bar and sledge. -- In five months, the old Los Angeles Orphanage will be gone. -- Soon not even the spot where it once stood will remain -- for the new Golden State Freeway will take away much of the hilltop when it is built. -- Nearly all the 50,000 citizens then living in Los Angeles contributed to the $150,000 fund which constructed the building in 1890. -- Pride of city -- The structure, with its bell tower rising 145 feet, was the pride of the city at that time, and thousands of Southern California citizens turned out to witness the laying of the cornerstone by Bhsiop Francis Mora. -- Biship Mora returned on Thanksgiving Day, 1891, to bless the edifice. Gov. R.W. Waterman and Mayor H.T. Hazard were on hand. -- In its 61 years, the building was home to more than 9000 girls. It was condemned in 1950 and had stood vacant since. -- Like its successor, Maryvale, the new Los Angeles Orphanage, in South San Gabriel, the old orphanage was under the jurisdiction of the Catholic Diocese of Los Angeles and was operated by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, who have operated orphanages in this city more than a century. -- The new San Gabriel institution was blessed by Cardinal McIntyre June 21, 1953. -- Wrecking operations were begun three weeks ago by the Aztec Stone and Brick Company, and thus far only the roof is gone. Job Supervisor Y.M. Ortiz said he will be finished in Apri.." -- Examiner clipping attached to verso, dated 12 November 1956.
Streetscape. Horizontal photography.
Type
image
Format
1 photograph : photoprint, b&w
photographic prints
photographs
Identifier
examiner-m2801
EXM-P-S-LOS-ANG-CIT-ORP-042
http://doi.org/10.25549/examiner-m2801
http://thumbnails.digitallibrary.usc.edu/EXM-P-S-LOS-ANG-CIT-ORP-042.jpg
Subject
Los Angeles--City--Orphanages--Los Angeles Orphanage (buildings only)
Time Period
circa 1956-11-12
Place
-118.8643,34.8191
-117.67322,34.77141
-118.28446,33.70409
-118.95586,34.05644
California
Los Angeles Orphanage
Bell Tower
Los Angeles
USA
Source
3-1275-02805-6118 [Barcode]
EXM-P-S-LOS-ANG-CIT-ORP-042 [Original Filename]
Subjects 316 [Print Box]
University of Southern California [Contributing entity]
Relation
Los Angeles Examiner Photographs Collection, 1920-1961
Los Angeles Examiner Prints Collection, late 1920's - 1961
examiner-m4404

Explore related content on Calisphere: