This image may be protected by Copyright Law (Title 17 U.S.C.). Copyright restrictions applying to the reproduction and use of this image are available from the Sacramento Public Library.
In the years following World War II, Capitol Avenue was the focus of redevelopment efforts. When visitors entered the city from the west via the M Street Bridge, they had to drive through the middle of the west-end slums that lined both sides of Capitol Avenue. “By the 1950s the city’s front entryway looked dismally shabby.” The Capitol was buffered from urban blight by the building of two Greek-Revival style buildings on Capitol Avenue directly in front of the Capitol Building. One building housed state offices, while the other contained the State Supreme Court and the State Library. As the need for more office space grew, three more government buildings were added between 1953 and 1955. Due to the efforts of the Redevelopment Agency, the avenue was widened and center grass strips were installed. Dilapidated buildings on the west end were torn down and the street was given a new name: Capitol Mall. (Source: McGowan and Willis: “Sacramento, Heart of the Golden State”)