The original Classical Revival building, designed by F. P. Burnham, was constructed with a $30,000 grant from Andrew Carnegie. A couple of years before this photograph was taken, the library was restored and updated after it was severely damaged by the 1933 earthquake. This building served as the city's public library from 1909 until 1972, when a fire forced its closure. It was demolished a year later. Several people are seen sitting in Veteran's Park, an area outside of the Long Beach Public Library, visible in the background.
Long Beach Public Library and Information Center (Calif.) Public libraries--California--Long Beach Library buildings--California--Long Beach Carnegie libraries--California--Long Beach Neoclassicism (Architecture)--California--Long Beach Lost architecture--California--Long Beach Parks--California--Long Beach Works Progress Administration Collection photographs Long Beach (Calif.) Burnham, Franklin P