For commercial reproduction please contact the National Library of Scotland by referring to http://www.nls.uk/copyright . For access to the originals please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org National Library of Scotland National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh, EH1 1EW, Scotland, UK The National Library of Scotland license the use of this content under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 UK: Scotland License. email@example.com
"Young Boys" Group portrait of young indigenous boys from the Chuka and Mwimbi tribes. The Chogoria mission (in the Kenia sphere) administered to the Chuka, Mwimbi and Meru tribes, sections of the Kikuyu people. The Chuka numbered about 15,000 and the Mwimbi numbered about 25,000. In 1908 Kabandango was the biggest chief in the Chuka district and Kianbati the biggest chief of the Mwimbi district. Mission station established by Dr A.C. Irvine, his wife and Mr Ernest Carr when they arrived, in 1922, from TumuTumu. Chogoria is built on a wooded ridge at an altitude of 5,000 feet. Mr Carr arrived first and built a bungalow in 1922, the Irvines arrived that autumn. A stone church was built to replace the thatch and wattle old church and was opened in 1930.