unknown Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The SS Mission Purisima was the first tanker to be fully completed at Marinship. Marinship Corporation in Sausalito was a WWII Liberty shipyard owned by W.A. Bechtel Co. During WWII, residential Marin City was developed as housing for Marinship workers and their families. In the span of Marinship's three and a half years of active service (1942-1945), fifteen EC-2 Liberty Ships were built, along with seventy-eight oil tankers and twenty invasion barges. At its peak, Marinship employed a multi-ethnic workforce of 20,000.